Susie Phillips moves between pastel drawing and cut paper collage in her current works. Referencing the quilting tradition of Crazy Quilts which utilizes irregular pieces of fabric and asymmetrical designs, Phillips mines and assembles cut paper into elaborate patterns in a compressed picture plane which create dizzying and joyful compositions. In addition to the collage works, she continues her mastry working with pastel still lifes, for which the artist is well known. Susie Phillip’s works continue to indulge in romantic energy and speak to modernist traditions of skewed perspective, flattened subject matter and a bold palette in the vein of the later still lifes of Cézanne and Matisse.
Susie Phillips has been exhibiting her work in Dallas since 1978. Ms. Phillips is well collected in numerous private and corporate collections including; A.H. Belo,Southwestern Bell, Neiman Marcus, American Airlines, and the Crescent Collection.
Conduit Gallery Exhibitions
- Parchman Stremmel Galleries, San Antonio, TX
- National Arts Club, New York, NY
- Museum of Fine Arts, Santa Fe, MN
- Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, AR
- Southwestern Bell, San Antonio, TX
- AT&T, Dallas, TX
- Crescent Collection, Dallas, TX
- Tishman/ Speyer, New York, NY
- The Barrett Collection, Dallas, TX
- Delta Airlines, Dallas, TX
- LaSamanna Hotel, St. Martins/Bahamas
- American Airlines, Dallas, TX
- A. H. Belo Corporation, Dallas, TX