Rex Ray (1956 - 2015) was one of San Francisco's most accomplished and prolific visual artists. Known to traverse both the design and art worlds, Ray's art can be found in museums and galleries as well as rock clubs and on Swatch watches. Paper pieces, cut from fashion magazines and hand painted, are assembled by Ray to create brightly colored collages that range from delicate botanicals to ebullient constellations and modernist sequences.
Ray's design work includes; line of rugs with Elson & Company; a limited edition Artist Series Messenger Bag for Timbuk2; a signature gentlemen's Swatch; CD packaging for David Bowie, Joe Satriani, Matmos, Deee-Lite and has worked with Bill Graham Presents in over 100 tour posters. His work is included in such public collections as; Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the San Jose Museum of Art, and the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
In November of 2007, Chronicle Books published the first monograph of Rex Ray's work, Rex Ray: Art + Design.
Conduit Gallery Exhibitions
- The Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, Denver, CO
- The Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, San Francisco, CA
- The Monterey Museum of Art, Monterey, CA
- The Crocker Museum of Art, Sacramento, CA
- The San Jose Museum of Art, San Jose, CA
- The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, CA
- Broadbend Gallery, London, England
- Velocity Art, Seattle, WA
- Gotham Gallery, London, England