Atlanta, based artist Fahamu Pecou overlays social commentary and hip hop culture onto the world of contemporary art with paintings and drawings that depict Pecou on fictionalized magazine covers and in staged photo shoots. Pecou’s paintings, performance art, and scholarly work addresses concerns around representations of black masculinity in popular culture and how these images impact both black male masculinity and identity.
Fahamu Pecou earned a B.F.A. from the Atlanta College of Art in 1997 and is currently a Ph.D. candidate at Emory University's Institute of Liberal Arts. Since 2005, Fahamu has been featured in several solo and group exhibitions including solo exhibitions in New York, Paris, Art Basel (Basel,Switzerland) and Cape Town, South Africa. His work is included in collections including; the Nasher Museum at Duke University, Paul R. Jones Collection, the High Museum in Atlanta, GA, the Clark Atlanta University Art Collection and Museum of Contemporary Art Georgia.
Artist residencies include; the Caversham Centre in Kwazulu Natal, South Africa and the first-ever Harvey B. Gantt Center for African American Arts + Culture Resident at The McColl Center for Visual Art in Charlotte, N.C. He has received several awards and recognitions including an ARTADIA award and the NBAF Interpretations "Emerging Artist Award".
Pecou's work is featured in DEFINITION: The Art and Design of Hip Hop, an anthology chronicling the impact of hip-hop on visual culture, written by famed graffiti artist and designer Cey Adams, 5 Cities/41 Artists: Artadia O8/09 (Published by ARTADIA, 2011), NOPLACENESS: Art in a Post-Urban Landscape (Published by Possible Futures, 2011) and In the Eye of the Muses: Selections from the Clark Atlanta University Art Collection (Clark Atlanta University, 2012).
Conduit Gallery Exhibitions
- 2015 High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA (with José Parlá )
- 2014 Museum of Contemporary Art Georgia, Atlanta, GA (solo)
- 2014 State of the Art, Crystal Bridges Museum, Bentonville, AK
- 2014 Gantt Center for African American Arts & Culture, Charlotte, NC
- 2013 Backslash Gallery, Paris, France
- 2013 High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA
- 2012 Sumter County Gallery of Art, Sumter, SC
- 2012 Lyons Weir Gallery, New York, NY
- 2012 University of Wisconsin, Osh Kosh, WI
- 2012 Mason Murer Gallery, Atlanta, GA
- 2010 Backslash Gallery, Paris, France
- 2010 Grambling State University, Grambling, LA
- 2009 Bell Roberts Gallery, Vlaeberg, Cape Province, South Africa
- 2009 Lyons Wier Gallery, New York, NY
- 2008 Austin Museum of Art, Austin, TX
- 2008 Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts, Brooklyn, NY
- 2008 Amistad Center, Hartford, CT
- 2008 Flanders Gallery, Raleigh, NC
- 2008 Volta 5, Basel, Switzerland, with Lyons Wier Gallery, NY
- 2007 SWAB Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- 2007 Lyons Weir Ortt Gallery, New York, NY
- 2007 Vankin Gallery, Atlanta, GA
- 2005 High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA
- 2005 Michael Martin Galleries, San Francisco, CA
- 2005 Taller Portobelo, Portobelo, Panama